Glenmore Reservoir (near Heritage Park)


  • Parking: Heritage Park lot
  • Washrooms: None
  • Paved and dirt path
Singing in the Rain

Rocky shore.
This morning I braved the rain and geared up for a reservoir walk.  We did make it all the way around in one trip a couple of summers ago, but I’ve found I’m much happier when I explore sections an hour or two at a time.  Today, I started off at Heritage Park and headed left/south down the rocky path along the water’s edge.  I passed the Sailing Club, sharing the trail with geese and ducks and some local song birds, and enjoying the sound of the waves lapping against the mossy rocks along the shore. 

Russian Olive.


The path led me beside a grove of aspens (strangely growing in in the water) and through a thicket of Russian Olive, whose silvery leaves and clusters of yellow berries formed both the walls and ceiling around me.   I emerged by the businesses at Glenmore Landing, and continued along the paved path.  I was surprised at how far I’d come - I could already see paddle boat and Ferris Wheel of Heritage Park across the water. 

Glamorous duck!


Here the path grew busier, and I was joined by a half dozen people and more ducks.

I know, I know, ducks don’t sound glamorous. But I was lucky enough to get close enough to this trio and I got a good look at their markings.  I don’t think I’ve ever stopped and really looked at one of these birds before.  I had no idea their colorings were so detailed and vivid.  Makes me wonder what other amazing things I’ve been missing, obscured and dismissed because of their familiarity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment