Monuments

Downtown, South Bank of the Bow River, and Poppy Plaza
  • Parking: Public paid lot, east of the Calgary Curling Club
  • Washrooms: none
  • Paved Path
A traditional Hungarian carving.


I thought I'd go urban today and walk the very busy downtown riverbank pathways.  At first, I was frustrated by the busyness of it all; other walkers, joggers, cyclists and even a city truck passed me.  Too loud, too busy, I thought. I missed the "naturalness" of my first few trails.



But eventually I began to look past all the commuters and the perfect baskets of flowers hanging at even intervals along the path.  I stopped at monument after monument - a Hungarian carving, the Peace Grove, an archway, and plaques dedicated to people and events I had never paid much attention to.  Testaments to what Calgary as a community values and remembers.


WWI memorial at Poppy Plaza, overhanging the river.





About halfway into my walk, I crossed the 10th Street bridge to the north bank of the river to visit Poppy Plaza, a rededication of the original memorial to soldiers lost in WWI.  The site's iron and wood construction reminded me of the deck of a ship, overlooking the river below.  But what touched me most deeply were the words etched into the pavement and walls,  quotes from veterans, politicians and soldiers who never came home.  

Set in the center of our bustling city and pristine river valley, it was a reminder of how privileged I am to be living here and now, a gift not to be taken for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment